New Painting: "Red Tongue - Aka Shita - "

I can't stop painting my interpretations of various yokai, so here is another one! I believe this is only one of a few "bad girls" I've painted... my girls are usually innocent and melancholy. But it's fun to do something different for a change.

Red Tongue -Aka Shita- | Watercolor, acrylic, colored pencil, and gold leaf on wood panel | 24 x 24" | Available to buy

The original creature is simply called "Aka Shita" which means "Red Tongue." It's not supposed to be a female in particular, just a cloud of smoke. Here's a brilliant illustration of it from this new snazzy yokai project site.


From this description I took the part about red mouth and red tongue... perfect for a female with a wild attitude! It sort of reminded me of Jessie J's impossibly colored mouth in this video.



The creature is supposed to have claws, but I didn't want her to seem too cheesily witch-like, so I opted to give her a fashionable talon ring instead. It's like she's using it to draw the lines of smoke all around her.



I used to have to ask Lowe's workers to chop plywood for me every time I went there, but behold: now they sell perfectly pre-cut 24 x 24" birch plywood boards. Yeeeei! They are thicker than the other type, too. I like to paint the edges with a bold color, so the painting doesn't need a frame. It has a wire on the back and is ready to hang!


If this lady captures your heart, remember that you can purchase this piece! Look at my shop for details.

Love,
J
New Painting: "Red Tongue - Aka Shita - " New Painting: "Red Tongue - Aka Shita - " Reviewed by Julie R on 2:21 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.