My First Mural Ever

I've started my first legit mural ever. It's at 44th & Western in OKC, and will be part of this year's "Taste of Western" event taking place on Oct 23rd. The idea is to have a night of wondrous cuisine, wine, and 5 brand-new murals in close proximity! You can reserve tickets at the official event page here.

Anyways, my wall is HUGE! It's about 30 feet high and approximately the length of Smaug himself. I was pretty excited, but also daunted for weeks because I've never painted this big in my life. Would it be super hard? Would it be amazingly easy? Would the texture of the exterior wall make me want to kill myself? I didn't know WHAT to expect!

My huge wall, 30 ft high.

Well well, After picking up our paints at HIS Paint (who were kind enough to donate lots of materials and give us massive discounts on others) we projected the image onto the wall and started outlines.


PEOPLE. Being 20 feet up on that leetle yellow scaffolding is SCARY. My knees were wobbling. I actually couldn't handle it, and that wasn't even tall enough to do the top stuff! Ladders are better. And even better than ladders is having E up on the there doing my work for me. Juuuust joking. I did work too.


 But I'm SUPA excited about the painting! It was really fun and fulfilling. I can't wait to start on my girl's face! The cool thing was the number of people who walked up and wanted to tell us how awesome they thought it looked. (Even though... it was just a few lines at this point.) People really respond to oversize art being created live. I probably talked to more people last night than I have at any art opening. Cool!

Good progress for one night. And now it's past 1 am. Hoooo

 I will post updates on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I guess I should probably be tech-saavy and invent a hashtag, so how about #juurimural. OK? Please follow our progress and send me your thoughts!

We have to have this done in 2 weeks! Weeeeeeeeeeeeee! You know where I'll be for the next few long days. C-ya at Taste of Western, if I'm still alive! Bai!

J




My First Mural Ever My First Mural Ever Reviewed by Julie R on 4:11 PM Rating: 5

1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.